1. Sam’s new apartement is in a building which has twelve stories.
Sam’s new apartement is in a twelve stories building.
2. We teach languages.
We are language teachers.
3. My parents saw a play in three acts last night.
My parents saw a three acts last night.
4. The manager said that the sale would last for two days.
The manager said that it would be a last for two days sale.
5. Hal bought a tool set containing 79 pieces.
Hal bought a containing 79 pieces tool set.
6. Margie has a bookcase with five shelves
Margie has a five shelves bookcase.
7. I need two cans of tomatoes that weigh 16 ounces each.
I need two weigh 16 ounces cans of tomatoes.
8. I’m looking for a pressure cooker that holds six quarts.
I’m looking for a holds six quarts pressure cooker.
9. He is a specialist at building houses made of bricks.
He is a specialist at building made of bricks houses.
10. Mrs. Jansen just bought her daughter a bicyle with ten speeds.
Mrs. Jansen just bought her daughter a ten speeds bicyle.
Exercise 32: Enough
In the following sentences, choose the correct form in parentheses.
- There were not enough people to have meeting.
- Allen has learned French enough to study in France next year.
- Do you have enough time to talk now?
- She drove fast enough to win the race.
- Mike will graduate from law school soon enough to join his father’s firm.
- We arrived early enough to have some coffee before class began.
- It has rained hard enough to flood the low lying areas.
- You should type slowly enough that you will not make an error.
- He has just enough flour to bake that loaf of bread.
- There are enough books for each student to have one.
Exercise 32: Because/Because of
Supply either because or because of as appropriate.
- It was difficult to deliver the letter Because the sender had written the wrong address on the envelope.
- We decided to leave early Because the party was boring
- Rescue attempts were temporarily halted Because of the bad weather.
- They visited their friends often Because they enjoyed their company
- Paul cannot go to the football game Because of his grades.
- Marcella was awarded a scholarship Because her superior scholastic ability.
- Nobody ventured outdoors Because of the hurricane warnings.
- We plan to spend our vacation in the mountains Because the air is purer there.
- We have to drive around the bay Because the bridge was destroyed in the strom.
- The chickens have died Because of the intense heat.
Exercise 34: So/Such
Following the formulas, use either so or such in these sentences as appropriate.
1) The sun shone So brightly that Maria had to put on her sunglasses.
2) Dean was Such a powerpul swimmer that he always won the races.
3) There were So few students registered that the class was cancelled.
4) We had So wonderful memories of that place that we decided to return.
5) We had So good a time at the party that we hated to leave.
6) The benefit was So great a success that the promoters decided to repeat it.
7) It was Such a nice day that we decided to go to the beach.
8) Jane looked So sick that the nurse told her to go home.
9) Those were So difficult assignments that we spent two weeks finishing them.
10) Ray called at Such an early hour that we weren’t a wake yet.
11) The book looked So interesting that he decided to read it.
12) He worked So carefully that it took him a long time to complete the project.
13) We stayed in the sun for Such a long time that we became sunburned.
14) There were So many people on the bus that we decided to walk.
15) The program was So entertaining that nobody wanted to miss it.